Saturday, January 19, 2008

It was a gorgeous day today in Inuvik. When the sun finally came out, and the sky was clear, I went for a hike. I headed east up the ski trails that are quite close to my apartment. I went up an incline, the same hill that I walked up last weekend. When I got to the top though, it was much nicer today because the sky was clear. I was amazed that you can see the mountains from the top of the trail! I took a bunch of pictures while I was up there. The one above was one of the ones that shows the mountains. Can you see em? This picture is looking west over Inuvik, and I zoomed in alot so that you guys could see the mountains that I was talking about!

So then I walked around a bunch on the cross country ski trails and a guy who was grooming the trails stopped to say hi. He was an older man, and was super chatty about cross country skiing in Inuvik. Apparently when Inuvik was predominantly full of residential schools, part of their curriculum involved skiing and skating, so the trails were developed (this is in about the 60s he said). Also many of the Olympic cross country skiing competitors trained in Inuvik on the same trails I was walking on! He told me how I can easily get my hands on some skis from the ski club. I told him about how I already knew a couple people who had offered me skis. I think I am going to email the lady who I met through work who offered the skis up to me come Monday, see if she would like to take me out, because I'd love to give it a try. Why should I work out inside a gym if I can ski around on the arcticly beautiful trails for exercise and fun?

Town was much more lively today, I think the milder temperatures (only -17!) and the sun brought people out. I went to the library and picked up some good books and movies. I saw some mindless dude get taken out of the library by an RCMP officer. And saw all the children, like usual, hanging out in the library, playing games, and not reading!

I must say, coming here after I had such a hard summer on Beausoleil, I was qutie scared that I may experience a repeat being way further away from home then I was last summer. But I gotta tell you, I'm two weeks in, and I'm happy.

A special happy birthday celebration goes out to you Pooja.

No comments: