Monday, January 21, 2008

The Mad Trapper and such

Well, the rest of my weekend was great. What about yours? On Saturday night I went to Inuvik's one and only pub with my new found pilot friend. And despite some warnings from co-workers about the "Mad Trapper" being sketchy, I loved it! Figures, I always love the dodgey places (achem..phils...). There was a live country band, who played some good covers. I enjoyed it. Then yesterday, I went to church at the famous Inuvik "Igloo church". You can see it in the picture above. The sun in this photo was just high enough to shine on the top of the Igloo and made for a neat photo effect. Later on yesterday, I went skating at the rink. Grrrrreat. Then I showed up at the college gym for 'drop-in' soccer. It was funny, there was some 12 year olds, a buncha teenagers, and a few old guys. Funny, I recognized one of the older guys from a Canadian geographic article I read about Inuvik a while back! A good mix, and actually really fun soccer. They play once a week, so I figure I'll go out to play as much as possible (I gotta keep those soccer skills sharp for summer eh darkwingers? eh marxmen??)

Now, I'm not sure if you guys were watching the weather reports today, but Inuvik got ABOVE freezing today! Can you believe it!! We were the third warmest location in Canada today! Apparently this is pretty strange, and it's already back down to -11, and suppose to fall to -30 tomorrow. Funny thing, I didn't really like how warm it was. It felt too strange being in the Arctic and having above freezing temps in the middle of winter. I heard on the CBC that today was the warmest January 21st EVER recorded in Inuvik. Hmm...for some reason the words global and warming come to mind...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should keep that picture because it would look nice on a brochure. I bet they would love to hang onto it because the lighting IS really good.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how much you're fitting right in, it seems as though this community is really compatable with you. I am getting really excited.