Saturday, January 19, 2008

Do you eat the red ones last?

Just wanted to show you one of Inuvik's landmarks. They call them the the "smartie" houses. I like the yellow one the best. There are a bunch of buildings just like this one, with colourful siding. Gives character to the town I suppose. The photo is kinda dim I know, because of the overcast daylight that I took it in. Today I finally worked out at the gym, at the "midnight sun rec complex" and ran into my pilot from Tuesdays trip!! I guess it really is a small town. I have certainly noticed the small town feel of Inuvik. Many people seem to have common acquaintances. Everyone seemed to know everyone else at the gym. Though one observation that I did make about the gym is that there was not a single Native working out. I mean I guess there weren't that many people there, it's not a very big gym. But I think that really it is just not in the Inuvialuit culture to 'work out' in a 'gym'. I feel like alot of the recreational services here in town are mostly provided for the southerners who are here to work. After exercising, I went to two grocery stores to get some goods. One had no milk, the other had expired milk, so I got soy milk instead! Another option here in Inuvik that I have never seen before, and will never taste (because I refuse) is tetrapacked 2% milk. Its a strange brand, you buy it in cases, its not refrigerated, and its good for almost ever. Weird. Work today was somewhat uneventful, save for the choosing dates for the community tours that I will be involved in planning. If you guys are really interested in the Beaufort sea integrated management plan that I am helping with, check out the Beaufort Sea Partnership website http://beaufortseapartnership.ca/. I will be helping out with a conference for that here in Inuvik as well. On a totally different topic, a question to leave you with; do you ever wonder how or why one thing happens over another? Because I do, all the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually did check out the website - what an incredible opportunity you have to get involved with such an important programme! And by the way, I try not to eat the red ones at all. (I've heard that the dye makes kids crazy!)Did you know that orange smarties from the UK taste like orange? Yummy! Just thought that you could use some useless information to counter-balance all of the practical knowledge you're gaining right now! ...e