Thursday, January 17, 2008

Today was another interesting day at work. It started this morning with a drive to work accompanied by the northern lights. It was 8am and I was watching the Aurora Borealis dance above me. Too neat. This morning I got to take part in a Working Group meeting, it is a group that is helping to write the Integrated Oceans Management Plan for the Beaufort. It was really interesting, I learned a ton, and I am going to be helping to write about the biophysical conservation objectives for the plan. Sounds important! I'm quite excited about learning so much every day.
Another exciting point of my day was getting my self installation kit for the internet. I am writing from my apartment today! So that means pictures! Apparently I can't have a slide show on my blog unless I subscribe to some other service, sooo I'll just post a picture every time I write instead of that. And maybe post some more on facebook. Anyway, enough of that...look at the picture above! It's the shrimpy Inuvik trees weighed completely down with the snow. It really is amazing how the snow sticks to everything here. It is also quite amazing how I have no clue just how much snow is on the ground. The snow here is so different then the Ontario snow. I mean, its just crispy and so they don't really clear it away. It just gets compacted and you can walk a top it. So really I don't know just how much is on the ground. But considering it is always snowing here, I think it is safe to assume alot.
My office is in a PRIME location. I see the sun the entire time it is up! That does depend though on whether it is cloudy or not. Today, it was gorgeous. I can already tell that it stays up for a longer period of time judging by how far it moves horizontally across the horizon. It really is kinda strange just seeing it as a "sunset" for the entire time it is up, because that is exactly what it looks like.
One silly thing about Inuvik that I have yet to tell you is that the air is SO dry. This means that EVERY time i switch on or off a light, I get a big shock. I have started getting scared to switch lights on and off!
Enjoy your nights everyone, whatever town, province, territory, or country you may be in.

No comments: