Monday, January 29, 2018

Garbage collecting in Malaysia

During my time in Malaysia and Singapore, I collected my non-recyclable non-compostable waste. I did this to challenge myself to create the least amount of waste possible while travelling. This is difficult in Asia where tap water isn't safe to drink and food often comes with bundles of packaging...where you have to get good at rogue composting and definitely not assuming that you will be able to recycle something, cause I'm all likely hood you will not be able to.

The photo is what I ended up with at the end of ten days. Mostly some snack food packaging and dental floss, some disposable utensils too. Oh I wish this could be an empty photo. Travelling is the hardest time to be sustainable for me. But by navigating language barriers and asking folks to put food in my container, and by investing in a good water filter, I was able to really avoid a lot of disposables. How do you reduce your consumption levels?

1 comment:

haya said...

rogue composting!!!

you are so awesome.
i have a new mom friend here who collected her garbage for a whole year (half of which included having a new baby) and in the end, it amounted to only 1kg worth of stuff. i bet you two could share secrets.