Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Heli - copter.

Wow, I am so lucky.
Yesterday afternoon I got the amazing pleasure of going on a helicopter ride. We traveled from Inuvik North East to Tuk across the tundra, and then west along the coast; we were filming for a documentary that my boss wants to make about the Marine Protected Area that is soon to be regulated through DFO. Actually, we had a professional filming, I was just along for the (WICKED) ride. First we saw moose, then we saw an arctic fox or two. Then we came upon the herd of Caribou that you see above. They were just minding their own business as we noisy humans blew by. Next we flew above Tuktoyaktok, then onward along the (very) white coast. We headed as far west as Shingle point, took some footage of a couple lonely cabins, and then headed to Swimming point, where we refueled the helicopter. We loaded back into the little vehicle, and traveled south eastward, across the Delta toward Inuvik. I have seen pictures of the Delta in the summer, with the mountains bordering the deposited material that is lush, low and moist. If it looks anything in summer like it does in winter, then the delta, is gorgeous.

In the delta area we spotted two crouched creature, which turned out to be a couple of arctic lynx. Possibly the neatest wildlife I have ever seen, they did not mind our hoovering, instead they continued playing, pawing at one another, until they ran off into the willows. So neat. I have a couple of pictures of these creatures, I will post them soon.

Another highlight of yesterday was coming home to some muskox meatball soup. Mmm, thanks classy eskimo.

Tomorrow, I take on Sachs Harbour; located on Banks Island, this small (population 120) hamlet should be interesting.

My belly is grumbling, and dinner awaits. Its 8pm, and the sun is still a shinin' and will be until 10 pm. I'm (almost) in the land of the midnight sun.

Peace.

No comments: