Friday, March 28, 2008

Aurora freakin' Borealis

I knew there was a reason why I named my blog "Aurora Renews".

Aurora is the Roman Goddess of dawn who renews herself every morning and flys across the sky with a zing of energy in her soul, announcing the arrival of the sun. Boreas is Greek for wind.

I can see why the Aurora Borealis were named after this Goddess - the pink and green lights of the North that I just experienced certainly gave me an installation of renewed energy in my soul.

This is an exert from a poem by Lord Alferd Tennyson where he is describing Aurora:

Once more the old mysterious glimmer steals
From thy pure brows, and from thy shoulders pure,
And bosom beating with a heart renewed.
Thy cheek begins to redden through the gloom,
Thy sweet eyes brighten slowly close to mine,
Ere yet they blind the stars, and the wild team
Which love thee, yearning for thy yoke, arise,
And shake the darkness from their loosened manes,
And beat the twilight into flakes of a fire

I am not usually one for poetry, but I thought it was nice.

Even if you can't see the Northern Lights where you are, look at a star, a single star, and gaze at it for thirty seconds. I'm sure you will notice that at the end of that short time, you will be in complete awe. Our world is a beautiful and precious one. Enjoy it while treating it kindly friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kayla!!

Sorry i just remembered that I had ur blog saved under my favourites. I havent had the chance to read everything u've wrote, however, i hope to eventually b/c u always have such insightful words! Although, i was able to glance over the pictures :) I couldnt imagine an experience like the one u are on, but i could only assume it would be amazing!! I hope you are doing great & are taking in all the wonders you are coming across! Best of luck in the rest of your journey!! Miss you!! xoxo
~ nicole s <3