Saturday, February 16, 2008

A fantastic day in the Arctic

It was a beautiful day in the Arctic today. No, not beautiful, gorgeous. Wait, which word is more extreme? I guess I'll let you decide.

The pictures you see above were taken today at Airport Lake (named such because it is close to the Inuvik Airport [duh]). The weather was great (only -19 this afternoon!) and so Amy picked me up and we went on a long walk on Airport Lake with her two labs. There was a road cleared over the ice, and there are a number of camps located on the lake. These 'camps' are like people's cottages, though they are quite shabby, and often involve fishing and hunting. Most Native people here own a camp somewhere in the delta, or have friends that own a camp in the delta. So Amy and I had a really nice walk around on the lake, and then we hopped back in the truck and headed up, via snowshoe, to the lookout tower that is just outside of town. I took some photos from up there as well, you could see for miles it seemed.

So tomorrow I venture to Winnipeg via Edmonton, tomorrow I will be staying in Edmonton overnight. I get into Edmonton earlyish tomorrow evening, I think I will go somewhere in the city for dinner.

I hope you (yes YOU) are having a good weekend.

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like how u ended with peace.
kay i called u early sunday bc i was called into work early :(
but your lazy butt didnt get up to answer the phone...
next sunday i guess or call me when u get back home and i'll call you right back!
i miss your voice!