Saturday, January 26, 2008

Noryak

This is my friend Noryak. He's my new muskox friend that I met last night at a party I was at. Yeah, a party in Inuvik, and a I was there. This guy I met at a meeting at work last week randomly called me up at work yesterday and invited me, so Ashli and a I (the girl who is from Waterloo that I randomly got connected with up here...) went over for the shindig. I haven't been inside any other houses here in Inuvik and my apartment is painfully white, so I was refreshed to find tons of colour in this place - and a huge stuffed Muskox! So when one of the guys offered to take my picture ridin' the muskox, of course I acquiesced. Everyone at the party was somewhere from the south, but they all had come to Inuvik for different reasons and had been in Inuvik for a year or so. I haven't really heard of a 'southerner' say that they have been here for longer then 3 years. But there were some really nice, welcoming, interesting people there last night, all probably late 20s in age. Each of them had a different job, some were volunteers at the elementary school, a couple biologists, one researcher, two reporters, one worked at the rec centre, one makes documentaries...they were all over the map. It was really nice to meet some more people up here, people who are so down to earth and friendly. There was also a table full of tasty treats....
One of these treats was muskox meat. So I gave er a go, and ate the meat of the animal in the picture above (well, not that one exactly, some other poor soul.) Anyway, my first taste of 'country food' as it's called up here, was pretty good. It was a dry salty meat, kinda tasted like prosciutto. It was actually quite good.
So it's really chilly out today, and was last night at well when I walked the 20 min to and from the party (I wasn't by myself mom!) Someone said last night it was to get down to -50. ha. I just checked the temperature right now, and it's -29, and -39 with the windchill. It looks pretty blowy out there...I have yet to go out, I'm kinda hiding out today, mostly because it's overcast. It's overcast, but it's still bright!
Hopefully everyone's weekends treat them well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really dig the word "acquiesced"

-cat

Anonymous said...

When you say "ha" there is always a period after and I think you're saying hectars...but you're not, you're saying "ha". The muskox reminds me of Moose Winooski's and I can't get over how different everything is.