Sunday, January 27, 2008

An icy good time

Hello! Today was a bright and sunny day in Inuvik, so I went for a hike on the ski trails that are just behind my apartment. Although the sun was shining, the temperature hoovered around minus 30 degrees Celsius, and it was chilly. Nevertheless, I got bundled up, and went for it. The trails are gorgeous, they really capture what the majority of the landscape looks like around here. And they were virtually deserted save for a couple skiers and I. The picture above shows me an hour or so into my hike. I was amazed at how the ice crystals had formed on my balaclava, on my had and on my eyelashes, all from my breath! I know the photo isn't amazing, but I had to show you guys the crystals that formed. Also, it is sooo hard to take photos when I'm out on walks, because as soon as I take my hand out of my mitt, it's instantly cold. I will certainly show you all some photos of the landscape, the hike took me away from town a bit, and I ended up having a neat look from one point of the trail over town. I was just astonished by this photo, so I had to share it. Hopefully wherever you are reading this right now, you are warm and cozy, because as I write it, I sure am.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture is so COOL (ha)! Well, it looks like you're having a great time. Too bad for Noryak... poor little dear. Stay warm, ...e

Anonymous said...

hey kayla!

i'm so glad to hear you're doing well! i just got caught up on all your adventures so far (i read all the way back to the first post... can you tell i have too much school work to do? ha!)

it sounds like you're getting to meet lots of interesting people and see lots of special places :) stay warm and keep the stories coming!

love, kristina

LauraB said...

Kayla. Its wild to think that you can be in -30 degree with, your sister can be in Australian summer, the KW pop is experiencing slush and -10 deg weather and its raining so much here that I am constantly wet. All at the same time!!! It must be nice taking excursions like that- I'm happy to be walking and exploring as well! Greetings and can't wait to read more!

LauraB said...

p.s. that -30 deg with was supposed to read -30 deg weather

and i love the pic

Anonymous said...

bahaha thats an awesome picture, check out this story it made me think of you when i read it...how cool would this be? and check out the sidebar graphic as well-

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/world/environment/story.html?id=253829

i am happy you are having an icy good time! i'm going to call ya again this weekend.

-catherine