Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Right


I stand staring at the ocean, with a sturdy long piece of driftwood in my hand. As I look at the horizon, I scan eastbound toward the snow capped west coast mountains clearly visible on this morning. I breathe a breath out, and feel a grave sense of calmness wash over me.

I turn my gaze downward, to the moist squishy sand of low tide that my blue crocs slowly sink into. I begin by carving a cross into the sand with a half circle and a dot in each of the four quadrants. The dot looks like an eye observing me, and the half circles look like the moon that's been barely visible behind clouds these past few days, as it waxes toward the fullness of itself.


Slowly and methodically I bring the lines to join each point of extension together in large convex arches toward the ocean, beginning to see the cross, half moons, and eyes turn into a unified creation of a labyrinth.

I learned how to draw labyrinths in the sand from my dear friend Jally during my time in Australia. To Jally, the act of drawing and walking the labyrinth has been a great source of calm meditation, contemplation, awareness and presence over her years of walking the labyrinth as a daily meditation. Since she shared how special this ritual was to her, and after I had the chance to experience what it is like to walk this sacred, ritualistic, historic and culturally significant path, I have felt how special these paths are. A symbol of a pilgrimage, a chance to twist and turn, always knowing that you are on the path, the correct one, and losing track of the outside world, the labyrinth invites you to go within and contemplate a question, speak your truth, or just let go of it all. 

This particular morning, after spending 24 days here at Hollyhock, the labyrinth felt stronger as I slowly walked the path towards the centre, and back out again. I've experienced much over the past days here at Hollyhock. I've met some really interesting people, connected so specially with my fellow karma yogis. As I shared in a recent talking circle, that we have each week in the Sanctuary, (a special, grounding, sacred cob structure here at Hollyhock), there are these little bottles inside me. They look like medicinal potion bottles, and there are a few of them, filled with different coloured potions. Since being here at Hollyhock, some of these little bottles have had their corks slowly pulled off, and have been nudged by the universe, so that the colourful potions of emotions, feeling, and awareness, have sloshed over the edge. It's put me in a very amazing but very vulnerable place.   

One of these little bottles spilled completely over this morning, during my walk of the labyrinth. Pink beautiful liquid flowing out, spilling out, washing over me, and spreading onto the sand, and out into the universe, away from me. 

And it felt so good. 

I've shared a lot with people here over the past 24 days. They've shared a lot with me too. A number of themes continue to come up in conversations, in books I pick up, and in presenters and workshops that I encounter at Hollyhock: mindfulness, presence and being aware of the moment you are in. Feeling all my feelings deeply, because I'm allowed to feel whatever is real in my heart, and it is indisputable. Seeking my truth, my true self, learning to listen to that truth, and always speaking it with strength, power and vigor; let my actions follow from my true self. Letting go of the uncontrollable is a valuable practice that immediately brings such peace within - and happiness too. The divine essence resides within each of us, we are all full of this divine light, and so we all have an innate organic connection with one another - amazing! These are just some of the themes, lessons, and conversations I've been having with folks here. There's been oh so much more...

The bundle of energy that is Andria, our volunteer coordinator, meditated on our group and a phrase came to her that she feels resonated with our group purpose or mission during our time here: Inspiration into Action. So I've been thinking about that a lot as well, curious how that looks for me

The amount of love I've been receiving and giving is so magnificent. Other emotions I've been wading through are gratitude, joy, love, fear, vulnerability, confusion, judgement, anger, love, support, fullness, wonder, awe, curiosity, knowledge, and more love, love, love.

As the full moon grows near, I know time has passed and that I will cherish the moments and days I have left here at Hollyhock. It will come time to move on from here, and it will all happen perfectly, just like its suppose to. 

After all, I'm in the right place, at the right time, having the right conversation with the right people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Author material K! Xo.

Anonymous said...

Author material K. Xo.