Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Farming, cycling, what's next, sydney

Hi Friends.

I've been back in Sydney for a couple weeks again. With Anthony around, I had someone to hang out with during the day, and we had a good time exploring some of Sydney's spectacular beaches, walking over the Sydney Harbour bridge, checking out the eclectic Newtown, going to an Aussie Rules Football game, and cooking and enjoying delicious food in Krista and Tua's home.  And let's not forget the joy of a visit from Tua's daughter Jet - I had so much fun being the kid I am with her - crafting, colouring, cooking, going to the park, and playing fun games!

But alas, Anthony headed north to the Great Barrier Reef, while I stayed behind to plot my next adventure. Krista and I had some really nice cozy movie nights with delicious food. I got out on two amazing day long (110km+ long!) cycling adventures with my friend Brian; one day we headed south to the Royal National Park, and followed the coast back to Sydney, and just this past weekend, under the Autumn sunshine we cruised up to Ku-Ring-Guy Chase National park.  This weekend, I will embark on another small cycling trip to the Southern Highlands in the near surrounds of Sydney, with my new bike buddie Brian! He's a good tour guide he is...

And while I've been spending the past week researching, reading, catching up, connecting and trying to plot out my next month or so, including my return to Canada, I have been caught up in a whirlwind of "what comes next". I go through this emotion quite regularly. It's cyclical I think, I plan a month or so, feel great while embarking on that month or so, and then feel a little bit lost again when that part is over and nothing certain lies ahead. It's like I appreciate and am comfortable with where I am, and then suddenly, I am no longer. All  while I meditate at yoga, time and time again, to just be present and satisfied. Plan, yes a little, think, yes, a lot. But just be satisfied. Be grateful, be loving, be here, now. 

I'm heading out next Tuesday for the North Coast of New South Wales, which sure sounds like it is full of souls searching, souls finding, and souls living sustainably! I'm going to live for a couple weeks at a permaculture style hobbie/vegetable farm. I'll be living in the host's caravan, cooking and eating and working with them in the garden, and on a number of sustainable building projects that they have going on on their property! I'm looking forward to it. I will take my bicycle along, and do some riding in the area while I'm up there, hopefully exploring Lismore, Byron Bay, Nimbin, Mullumbimby and Brisbane. Perhaps I will ride southbound, and stay at another farm en route back to Sydney for the beginning of June, for I am, achem, returning to Canada on June 12! I can hardly believe it, but I will have to bid farewell to the absolute normalcy, pleasure and comfort of seeing Krista and Tua each day, and be surely shocked back home into Ontario, nearly a year late from when I left it. Jeez, life is a beautiful, precious, loving, whirlwind...
 Sydney Opera House by night, photo taken from up on the harbour bridge
 The family in Australia, Krista, me, Anthony, Tua, with a Rick Lawrence original peaking out on photo left!
Me at the North Head lookout in Sydney Harbour National Park on a looong ride with Brian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey kay, love reading your blogs, pure honesty, a zest for life and nature and your bike, a breath of fresh air, i can almost feel the breeze, lmxo