Friday, November 18, 2011

California dreams

The Oregon Coast is wet. The Northern Californian Coast is also wet. Fancy that the Pacific Coast is wet and cold in November eh?


Well, have I had adventures since I last wrote from Eugene. I cycled and camped one long day alone, but it was quite neat actually. To see how my thoughts changed, how my mental moods shifted, how I went within and sent pedal strokes to different folks all across the country, and how I took good time to really think about why I am on this adventure of the bicycle, and adventure of the heart.


After just one 60 mile day alone, in a campground with sky high sand dunes (amazzzzing) I met up with Sean and Emily! Two familiar faces who I met during September's Otesha training week, who embarked on the concurrent Otesha tour across the Kootenay Mountains, and had been working their way down the Pacific Coast while I crossed Washington and most of Oregon inland. Perfect timing, and we were off, now a threesome, to ride further south. Passing through touristy towns with RV parks everywhere, finding a place in Coos Bay to pitch our (wet) tents. Next, riding through super moist, super mystical mossy forest, cycling up and up and down and down the "seven devils" and landing just as night fall came at a community hall type place in the boonies, just outside Port Orford. Really a wonderful spot to camp out, and lovely to have dry weather to cook our dinner and create a toasty campfire! The next day down the coast brought mind numbing, finger and toe numbing rainy weather, and it's been real rainy ever since. Luckily, we have happened upon warm indoor spaces thus far, bumping into friendly church groups who offered warm stew, fellow cyclists who shared their rented beach cottage with us in Gold Beach, and staying at a wonderful warm shower's hosts (mmm, cornbread and black bean soup, green salad and apple crisp - so grateful to lay our heads in a warm welcoming safe space!) in Cresent City. During the days, especially when we aren't sure where we will lay our heads, it is a constant mental battle to stay strong and warm, and enjoy the stunning scenery that we have been around. The southern part of the Oregon Coast was majestic, sea stacks everywhere, an gnarly ocean ripping away, the odd flash of a blue sky. Upon entering California, we entered the Redwoods - stunningly huge ancient trees that towered over us as we road up and up a multi-summit pass through Redwoods State Park yesterday. Our day ended with some wild adventures - daylight is super short, and my flat tires were many - let's just say we made it to Arcata, safe and soaked to the bone, and connected with a lovely woman who has welcomed us into her home, and is treating us like gold. And so we take a day off here, to get warm sipping tea, and to check out this quirky, seriously pot loving town. As Sean sung to me when I swore as I got another flat as the daylight was fading fast yesterday on the highway way out of any town, "every little thing, is gonna be alright". Everything was indeed alright.


Emily and Sean have been wonderfully positive, easy flow, accepting mates to tour with. I am so excited that they are as excited as me about their bicycles, even when it is nearly freezing out, and the rains are prevalent. We keep each other motivated and warm, singing songs up the mountains, speaking to the redwoods and to the ocean, reveling in the privilege that we have to be cycle touring, and trusting that the universe and the generous folks that are out there will help keep us safe and warm!


There were times when I doubted I would cycle into San Fran, but Sean and Emily have made it certain that we will get there, on our bicycles, perhaps with help along the way. We are but 320 miles away! And we have some of the most beautiful, most rugged landscape ahead of us, as we will journey through the avenue of the giants, and the lost coast highway. I do it with excitement, but also with apprehension. The weather makes me feel less confident and safe in my abilities.


As we flew down a summit yesterday, out of the redwoods and back to ocean level, and found ourselves at a positively breathtaking viewpoint of sea stacks on this rugged, wild northern Californian coast, Emily gave Sean and I a smiley huge hug, and I read aloud the poem she had scribbled on her arm when she stopped for the scene halfway down the summit:


crystal blue
water
down below me
faint fair clouds
sty turns to ocean
foggy
the redwood trees
are my angels


peace and love to you all dear friends, family and readers.

3 comments:

D. Freece said...

Hi Kayla,
I'm glad you are continuing on to SF. Best wishes for continued safe and adventurous travel.
Dave Freece

Anonymous said...

thanks for the life-line. much needed tonight. thinking of you and thanks for the stories.

Lauren said...

hey kayla -
i was at a party the other day and met someone who said she'd been off the last couple months on a bike tour and i said -- "An OTESHA tour?!?" and we freaked out and were really excited!! It was Mon, and she talked about how awesome the tour was and how awesome you are :) It was such a lovely chance encounter, and made me feel close to you even though you are so far! you are definitely making me want to visit Portland.

much love and warm hugs from back home,
xo lauren.