Sunday, October 16, 2011

the gulf islands of hope.

Ah, the gulf islands. Where alternative liberal culture seems mainstream, where free organic apples populate the road side, and where life seems just blissful. I'm currently on Salt Spring Island. Hilly, yes, beautiful, check, delicious vegetables, a definite. All in all, it's quite a magical place to visit, to reaffirm that these liberal haven's do exist, and to visit it with my new friends who share the same excitement as me for all these things, makes it all the better.

After a picnic in the warm fall sunshine beside the famous farmers market in Ganges, following continuous mmmmmm's from all of us as we devoured local peppers, tomaotes, kale, tapanade, sprouts, we cycled up the hills en route back to our host's plot of land. About halfway through the 12km, we stopped at a beautiful freshwater lake and myself and two other team-mates tore off our clothes, and jumped into the water. We sure did hoot and holler, as the cool water shocked our warm bodies to attention. As we scrambled up the doc, and sat in the warm sun, we reveled in the privilege that we all share to be surrounded by such abundance and beauty, and to be able to partake in this wondrous journey.

Sending you some of my love.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Love back atcha, Kayla!

I've been thinking of you and took some time this morning to catch up on your posts. As expected, each Otesha adventure brings with it new joys and opportunities for growth. I see you are soaking it all up and am grateful to read your reflections here. Grateful that this sweet earth supports us all (as I sit in my warm, cozy bed in my new digs!) I am with you in spirit as I envision you cycling - rain or shine - laughing and negotiating all the while! BIG hugs bella, xo lauren

Anonymous said...

Swimming in cold water? Reminds of a swim around this same time last year...

I miss you lots buddy but it sounds like you're having a tonne of fun so I guess I can live without you for a bit longer...

Lots of love from Montreal,
Linds