Monday, April 21, 2008

titleless. pictureless.

My last weekend in Inuvik was well spent.

Friday night I went out for dinner with a friend to the Caribou cafe. Saturday I went to a breakfast at the Anglican church, and then tagged along down the ice road to Aklavik with my friend Dustin and his family. We took a drive around town, walked through the house Dustin lived in for four years as a child, and drove close to the foothills of black and red mountain. We stopped for a few photos. The ice road is slick now, as the temperatures have been mild, but the ice is still extremely thick, and amazing to look down through. We went on a late night walk around the ski trails, watched the sun setting at 1130pm. It was peaceful, and gorgeous. I was in good company. Today, I caught my last mass at the Igloo church, and then also made it to the tail end of the Anglican service, as I was meeting up with Dustin for brunch. Later, I was invited to his house for a scrumptious dinner and a fun card game. It was a weekend full of fellowship and friends, and a great way to end my time here in Inuvik.

Today, I began to feel rather anxious and nervous about my last bit of time here in Inuvik. It has been an amazing experience...actually more then amazing, I just can't think of a stronger word. It's hard to close a chapter of your life that is progressing so nicely. It's difficult to leave a town, a job, and people you have grown very fond of. It's very hard to be unsure of what the future holds for you, at the same time though, it is thrilling in the best sense of the word. I think my time here in the North has been a special one personally, one that I do not think I could adequately describe to anyone in words. The learning experiences I have had and the relationships I have formed will be held close to my heart for a very long time to come.

I hope you are all sleeping soundly, and that life is a thrilling joy for you too.

No comments: