Friday, March 14, 2008

Pingo

Oh dear readers, my apologies. I have gone much too long without a blog. My excuse is the insanity of my week.

The Beaufort Sea Partnership meeting was this past week, which means people came from all across Canada to talk about Integrated Ocean management in the Beaufort Sea. It was quite the three day event, and I was the designated minute taker (oh the joys of being a student) and I facilitated three breakout sessions that asked participants from all sectors (government, Inuvialuit, Industry etc) to identify pieces that may be missing in the drafted Integrated Ocean management Plan. It was a good experience, and I can now say I know much more about facilitation and writing on flip charts then I ever have.

Aside from the Beaufort Sea Partnership Meeting, today I had to say buh-bye to my new friend Sarah. She's the coop student who had my position last summer, and who is currently working at the Winnipeg DFO office for her coop term. She was here for the past three weeks to help us with the community tour and the BSP meeting. But we've spent the last four weeks together (one in Winnipeg, then three here), and now I already miss her! It's fun having another student at work to laugh with, and ask stupid questions to that you might not ask a boss. She will be in Waterloo this summer though, so we will reunite :)

The picture above is of a Pingo in Tuktoyaktuk. I'm going there again this Tuesday. A pingo forms when a small lake drain. The permafrost that surrounds the unfrozen sandy ground where the lake once was, begins to spread. When this happens water in the saturated sandy ground freezes and expands, pushing excess water ahead of the freezing ground. As the circle of permafrost moves toward the centre of the once present lake, the excess water comes under increasing pressure, and the lake bed is pushed up, and up, forming the hill you see in the picture above! It's a unique northern land form!

Well, the Muskox hunt in Sachs is ongoing (for a town of 150 people they are legally allowed to harvest 10 000 muskox off the land!!) and this means that it will be in the grocery store soon. Alexa got me some from her friend early, and I have muskox-eggplant lasagna in the oven. (My apologies to you vegetarians, but only in the north right?)

Enjoy your evening. I will enjoy my (bright!!) one.

No comments: