Monday, March 3, 2008

Growing up?

Whew. That was a busy Monday. Tomorrow I will be travelling to Aklavik, one of the 6 Invialuit Settlement Region communities, by ice road. We will be having the same meeting that we have had in the other communities, and at this meeting, both the Inuvialuit and Gwich'in will be present.

Want to hear about my weekend? Saturday was spent skating in Cal's yard. Cal is my boss, and him, like a bunch of houses in town, have rinks in their front yards. You can see an action shot of me above. We played some hockey, and I loved it, I felt like a little kid who couldn't skate...becuase I can't stop on my skates! (Lindsay, it makes me want to play hockey at school with you!!) Sunday was another great outdoor day (even though it was -35 degrees C). I took a skiing class, it taught me some good basics, and it was a good day outside.

On a separate note, I'm not sure I like this whole growing up thing. After talking to some friends in Waterloo, it's becoming more and more real. My friends and I are growing up, graduating, getting jobs, moving away, and doing life. And, as it happens, 'doing' life involves a heck of a lot of change. I think there are a lot of things and people that I will miss this summer, and the months to come after that. But maybe these things will be replaced by even better ones. You really never can know what the future holds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

kay! yes, i guess we are doing life eh, what's that all about! I'm lovin all the pics, lookin beautiful. We watched this video in my geog class today and part of it showed a bunch of scenery and life in the NWT, kinda made me want to go.. in the summer though ahha. anyway, we miss you like crazy!

LauraB said...

Kayla!!! We definitely are doing life and growing up. Its sad but so fricken exciting at the same time. I just want to make sure to always have my memories of the growing up part. Which is why friends are so great- they help to piece together the parts we forget.

I love reading your blog. I should start one.

I can't believe you've been there for 2 months!!! Congrats Kayla- sooo happy for you! I want to give you a hug- I guess the one I gave you before you left will have to last though.

xx

LauraB said...

ps. there is a playground to the right of your picture. do the kids actually use those? when the heck would they use them? they must get slippery. brave kids.