Saturday, February 2, 2008

When I grow up...

When I grow up, I want to live in a small town. Where everyone sort of knows everyone else, where all of the shop owners are unique and entrepreneurs, and where I can walk to every service that I need. Yeah, sure cities are great for the bars, restaurants and shopping, but really do you really need to shop all that much? Do you really need all that stuff? Do you really need to go to a bar where you don't know a single soul but your wing woman? So when I grow up, which I think will be in about 10 years, I want to live in a small town. (Now I must insert a small stipulation here: It must be a small town within 400km of a big-ish town!)
Certainly Inuvik is a small town. Today I went to the liquor store and the book store, and both store owners recognized me as a newbie, and naturally struck up conversation. Its great, they know their customers, and recognize a new one. It's just more personal. I also hit up the lone cafe that's in town, its really great, I love the atmosphere.

Also, I finally discovered the 'bottle depot' today. There is no blue box program here, but they recycle the same hard plastic, glass and metal containers as we do at home, so long as you bring it in to the depot. I know a lot of people in town do not recycle. Too bad. On the bright side I did get 50 cents for my cans! hahaha.

The picture that I posted above is of a tree (hopefully you drew that conclusion on your own). The trees today were all totally encased in frosty bits. Really neat looking.

The lights were out last night, greenly gorgeous.

No comments: