Saturday, January 5, 2008

Paris, Waterloo, Edmonton

So here i am in the hotel "business room" at the Edmonton Holiday Inn. I'm about half way to Inuvik, and man, this is already tuckering me out. So I sat beside a very nice dude on the plane. He is a philosophy professor from the University of Alberta, he was in Paris participating in a conference. He spoke very uniquely of academia, and frankly, made me think twice about wanting to pursue further education after my degree. He also had some insights into how humans are essentially destroying the environment, but as a race, humans cannot totally disregard ourselves as being all bad...otherwise what/who are we left with to 'fix' the environment? He said it much more succinctly then I can write it, I mean, come on, he's a philosopher, and knows a bit about human existence. But, it made sense to me, hopefully it does to you too. Aside from some interesting conversation, he was very helpful in guiding me around the Edmonton Airport, and enjoyed the fact that I was going to see and experience a place that really, very few Canadians ever get to experience. One more neat encounter that I had on the plane-as I told my new french friend that I am a UW student, a dude across the aisle piped up saying "i go to Waterloo too!" figures. He was an engineer on his way to work in Edmonton for four months. Too neat. So step one of my journey complete. Can't wait to report back again when I'm settled in my new home. Special kudos goes out to my mom and auntie bonnie for preparing me, driving me, and being with me in my last Toronto moments for 4 months! Thanks guys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kayla that sounds awesome!
omg i already miss you like crazy...
guess who was at the bar last night?
MIKE LITT random eh hes living in bridgeports lofts now!
We ALL MISS YOU keep me posted!

Anonymous said...

I saw Mike Litt too, he's starting his own business...here's the link www.littenergies.com